Monday, October 28, 2013

DIY Baby Nursery Curtains

                           
Curtains can be highly expensive... Costing at least $30 a panel! Since I was already doing my cribbing home made I decided to do my curtains home made too! After purchasing all the fabric it cost me $28.98 for 3 yards of Zoo Fabric and 4.5 Yards of the Blue Fabric. That's a great deal for 2 custom curtain panels that matches my Baby Boys Nursery!

Here is how I did it with pictures and measurements:

1) First I measured the Baby's Nursery Window.
My Measurements are: Height- 90 Inches and Width- 58 1/2 Inches

2) For the main Curtain Panels: I used 3 yards (108 inches) of the Zoo pattern & 3 yards of Blue fabric for the length. The reason why I bought an extra half yard is because you don't want to curtain to be exactly 90 inches. Your going to be folding and sewing about 4 inches on both top and end and the curtain rod is going to lift it higher than the ground. I wanted my curtains to have some fabric "laying" on the ground.

3)I folded the fabric into 2 and cut down the middle to create 2 22 inch wide pieces (4 all together-2 zoo and 2 blue). After ironing the ends and pinning the two pieces together, 1 curtain panel came out to 41 inches wide. So when I placed the two curtain panels side by side the width for the entire window curtains came out to 82 inches. I know that is a lot wider than the window measurements but I wanted it to have a "bunched" look on top and not flat when closed all the way.

This is how the fabrics looked laid out side by side.




After looking at it I didn't like the zoo fabric to be on the end. Since I had extra fabric of the blue (for making the crib dust ruffle) I decided to add an extra blue layer to the middle of each curtain. This is how it looks laid out:
Ok so finally I have all my cuts and fabric ready to sew! Here are the steps:
  • Sewing
    • After making all your measurements and cuts, pin together the fabrics you want sewn together
    • I pinned the (middle) blue to the zoo fabric and then the zoo to the (end) blue fabric together and sewed down the middle to connect them.
    • After both curtains are sewn and connected you want to fold and iron each end to help from raveling. Then sew all the ends closed!
Here are pictures of the end of each panel sewn and connected and the edges of the curtains folded and sewn closed to complete the curtain panel.






After completing the curtain I realized it was missing something... It just looked like sheets to me and not nursery curtains. So I decided to add an extra panel on top.
For the top panel I purchased an extra 1.5 yards (54 inches). I then I folded it hot dog style and cut it in half (length) for both curtains. So I had 2 fabric pieces- 54 inches long and 22 inches wide.
Shown Here:
After I cut them I folded, ironed and sewed shut all 4 ends:


 I then took the panel turned it upside down and pined the end to the curtain end. And sewed them together.
Shown Here:
After the curtains were sewn and connected I took the curtain rod and placed it inside the panel. This allowed me to see where I wanted to sew the line.
I decided 3 inches was enough room. So I measured and pinned 3 inches all the way down the panel and sewed the curtain.

Here is the Final Result!!!
Close up of Top Pannel
Curtains Closed all the way. See how the top is "Ruched" a little? Thats why I made them extra wide to have that effect. :)
I Love How the Nursery turned out! All Homemade and under $115!!!

To see more of my DIY Nursery CLICK HERE
To see how to make My Crib Dust Ruffle CLICK HERE









No comments:

Post a Comment