Tuesday, January 21, 2014

DIY Car Seat Cover Tutorial

**DIY CAR SEAT COVER TUTORIAL**

My Directions and Pictures are Below::
  • What You Need:
    • A Sewing Machine
    • 2 Yards of Coordinating Fabric (It can be cotton, flannel, or anything you want!)
    • 1 Fat Quarter of Fabric for Straps (I used leftovers from burp cloths I made using the same fabric)
    • "Fab Fusion" Heat Adhesive Bonding Velcro (bought at Joann's for $3.67 after using a 25% off coupon)
    • Measuring Tape, Scissors and Pins
    • An Iron & Board
    • TOTAL COST: $22.19! These same car seat covers are going for $42-50 on etsy! Total savings around $20!
  • Here are the Steps:
  • Align your fabric pattern facing down and together and pin all around
  • After you pin, cut and round the edges
  • Start sewing at the bottom right edge and leave about 1/2"of fabric on the edge
  • After you finish sewing all around leave a 3 inch space before you close up the blanket, so you can turn it inside out. 
  • Before turning it inside out, trim the access edges, leaving about 1/2" of trim. Then grab the farthest corner and pull through to turn it inside out.
  • After the cover is turned inside out, close the hole by stitching very closely to the edge to finish it nicely

  • The Straps:
    • Cut the quarter in half with the straps being 8.5 x 10 inches.
    • Sew them closed (leaving an opening to fold inside out).
  • Here is the velcro I bought at Joann's
  • Lay the Velcro on the straps like this. So it folds over and closes correctly. 
  • After you are done putting the Velcro on the straps it's time to secure them on the cover. I measured 12" from the top of the cover to the top of the strap and 16" from the side of the cover to the sides of the straps. It was about 6 1/2" of space between the middle of the two straps. Always pin first and put the cover on the car seat to make sure it fits right. Every car seat is different and your measurements may vary than mine. After I made sure it looked good I stitched the straps on to the fabric. I made sure to back stitch a lot to secure them to the cover better! Now your all done!! Easy right?
  • Here are the finished pics:

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial! Thanks for looking!
Taylor
P.S.
I made my best friend a Reversable Car Seat Cover for her new baby! We are due 2 weeks apart! Here are her car seat cover pics:
I put a pin on the circle now so it's easier for her to take it off and move it around.

For her baby shower I wrapped together the car seat cover with some hand sewn burp cloths. You can find my easy burp cloth tutorial here: The Devoted Wife: Burp Cloth Tutorial







No comments:

Post a Comment