Tuesday, October 1, 2013

DIY:: Crib Dust Ruffle

                  

I have always wanted a Dust Ruffle as a part of my Baby's Bedding, but it isn't easy to come by one in the store. They only sell (if you can find one) 1 layer and normally in white. I did look on etsy.com but they ran about $80-$300!! Which was way out of my price range. And it wasn't exactly what I wanted. So I looked up videos and tutorials on Pinterest and figured out how to make my own. For all 7 yards of Fabric and 2 Velcro pieces I paid $33.41!! I purchased 3 yards of the Blue Fabric and 2 yards of each pattern fabric. And I had leftover fabric which I made 4 pillow coverings out of! So out of the $33.41 I got a dust ruffle and 4 Pillow coverings! I would say that was a great deal!! YAY!!

Ok onto the project....This Dust Ruffle was one of the most time consuming projects I have ever done. But I truly believe it was because it was my first time making one... And it always takes longer the first time you learn to make something.

Here are the Links I used to learn how to make it:
Tutorial 1
Tutorial 2
Tutorial 3

And here are some Video Tutorials on how to make Crib Skirts & Ruffles:
Crib Skirt Video Tutorial
No Sew Crib Skirt Video Tutorial
Ruffle Video Tutorial

*I used all of those sites to create my very own ruffle crib skirt. Here is my own account and pictures of the process*
Here is a picture of the main Backing layout of the crib ruffle. I only did 3 sides because the back would be against the wall.

BEGINNING STEPS::
  1. Measure your crib length. 1 length for the front and 2 for the sides. Always add 2 inches for folding and ironing.
  2. Measure your crib height. From bottom of crib to ground.
    • Always add 2 inches to your final measurements for folding and ironing.
  3. This will give you the measurements for the back part of the crib dust ruffle to which you will sew your ruffles on top of. 
    • My measurements for the BACKING Piece: (FRONT) 51.5 Inches in Length and 15 Inches in Height. (SIDE) 27" in Length and in 15" Height
  4. For Length of Ruffles, You want to take your original crib measurements and times it by 2.5
      • Example~ 27''x2.5=67.5
  5. And For Height Divide Original Height by 2.
    • My Measurements for Ruffles: (FRONT) 130" Length and 8"for Height. I used 2 65" pieces and sewed them together to create the length. (SIDES) 67.5" Length and 8" for Height.
  6. When you are done cutting your strips for the backing, iron all 4 edges of the material and sew closed.

  1. For the ruffles: I laid each pattern on top of each other and pinned them together... This made it easier to cut all the exact same length. And saved on time by not having to cut each layer separate.
  2. I doubled the measurements for the length (because ruffling will make it shorter)



Once 1 Strip is Cut, Repin the next layer and cut till you have 3 for each side. So a total of 9 strips....
The last strip I cut one long piece and then cut it again in half for the side edges.
After you have made your cuts, fold and iron 3 sides. Do not fold the side you are going to sew ruffle. 
I'm pointing to the side you don't fold.
Sew the 3 sides closed on all 9 ruffle sheets. Once that is done start your ruffles!!!




To do your ruffles, set your sewing machine between 8-9 and the stitching to a 3.


 Here are the ruffles beginning to form!! I Just Love This Part!!!!
 Here is a ruffle with finished edges.
 After all your ruffles are finished, measure out the main back piece into 3 sections that your going to be sewing the ruffles to. 
 My sheet was 10 inches high so the middle was at 5 inches.

Make sure the last ruffle, when placed on crib, hits the ground perfect and won't be to high or to low. 
I had to adjust my ruffle a couple inches from the bottom. Since I didn't want it to hang so low. Pin one layer at a time and sew it to the backing. It makes it a lot easier than pinning all 3 at once. You'll want to make sure your last ruffle is about 1-2 inches from the top. Not right at the edge.
 All the Ruffles Finished!!
 Here is the full piece laid out on the floor. Keep in mind each piece is still separate. I did not connect the 3 edges. It makes it easier to apply it to the crib, but thats optional.
I added velcro to the ends of the fabric and the spring of the crib for an easy way to hold it up! It turned out really great!



Super Easy!!
All the Ruffles placed under crib mattress
Finished Piece! 
                      

I Added Custom Pillows and a Custom Crib Mattress Cover to make the Crib Complete! 

To See How To Make a Super Easy Crib Mattress Cover Click Here*
To See How To Make Matching Pillows Click Here*

   Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment