Wednesday, August 14, 2013

DIY:: Dresser to TV Stand


I once saw on a post someone making their old dresser into a tv stand. So I decided to do the same, but there was one problem: I didn't have an old dresser! So I went to my local thrift store and purchased a grey worn down dresser for $29!! What a steal!!! I brought it home immediately!
 I then went to Home Depot and purchased:

  1.  An oil-based Primer
  2.  Sand paper (fine-grit)
  3. Paint Glaze and Interior latex paint in semi-gloss (the glossier the paint, the easier to clean). I got 1 paint in off-white and another in Black (for the top). 
  4. New hardware. 

Here are the Steps:

  1. First I vacuumed out the drawers and the bottom of the dresser
  2. I then took all the hardware off and cleaned off the dresser with a wet paper towel
  3. I removed all of the drawers to sand and paint separately.
  4. After the dresser dried, I began sanding. You want to sand enough where you can see the grains begin to show and the old wood. You don't have to completely take off all of the pre-paint color before. Sanding allows the new paint to "Stick". 
  5. Paint with primer, then when it dries sand it again (with fine-grit paper). Primer helps the new paint adhere to the furniture.
  6. After you sand each time, make sure to wipe off the dust so your not painting ontop of it.
  7. Now start painting!! It will take about 2 coats to finish, and remember to sand lightly between coats after they dry.
  8. After the full coat of paint dried I added a black glaze to the edges and creases in the furniture to bring out each accent. It created a great vintage look which I love!! 
    • To do a glaze paint you have to first mix 1 cup of glaze with 1/4 cup of latex paint (I chose black) Watch a great demo video HERE
    • Then you brush the glaze over the area you want it and wipe a wet towel over the area and the glaze will "stick" to the creases and corners! Keep repeating until you achieve the look you want... Watch a demo video HERE
  9. I Removed the Top Drawer to make a Great Area for the xbox and kinect to be hidden but still available. 
  10. After a day of drying I moved the New Stand into Our Living Room
Here is The End Result: 


For More Repainting Furniture Tips Visit HERE

Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment